Menu Close

Japanese Permanent Residency

Permanent residency offers foreigners a wealth of opportunities, a lifting of restrictions, and other positive benefits. There are practically no downsides to obtaining permanent residency in Japan.

Among the best benefits are:
  • Being able to obtain loans.
  • Not having to visit the immigration office as often.
  • No work restrictions.

When can you gain permanent residency?

  • After ten years in Japan.
  • After three years of marriage to a Japanese national or other permanent resident.
  • After one year of residence, if you are the child of a permanent resident.

How to Obtain Permanent Residency

  1. Call the nearest immigration office to check which forms and requirements are necessary for your specific case.
  2. Bring the required documents to the immigration office.
  3. Wait 4-6 months for a rejection or an acceptance!

Forms and Materials

  1. Application (EN) (JP)
  2. Photo (4×3 cm)
  3. Proof of family relationships
  4. Family registry copy
  5. Proof of self-sufficiency
  6. Proof of tax payment
  7. Passport
  8. Residence Card Copy
  9. Guarantor’s Documents
    1. Letter (EN) (JP)
    2. Personal seal or signature
    3. Proof of employment
    4. Proof of income
    5. Copy of residence card
  10. Revenue Stamp (8000円)
  11. Proof of identity

Abbreviated Checklist

Applicant’s Documents

  • Application
  • Photo (4×3 cm)
  • Kekkon Todoke    結婚届
  • Jyuminhyo    住民票
  • Zaishoku Shoumeisho    在職証明書
  • Contract    雇用契約書
  • Kakutei Shinkoku/Gensen    確定申告・源泉徴収
  • Shotoku Kazei     所得課税署名所
  • Jyuminzei     住民税の課税証明書
  • Passport
  • Residence Card
  • Revenue Stamp (8000円)

Guarantor’s Documents

  • Letter
  • Personal seal or signature
  • Jyuminhyo    住民票
  • Koseki Tohon    戸籍謄本
  • Zaishoku Shoumeisho    在職証明書
  • Contract    雇用契約書
  • Shotoku Kazei     所得課税署名所
  • Jyuminzei     住民税の課税証明書
  • Residence Card

Notes and Explanations


  • Photos are unnecessary for those under 16 years of age.
  • Photos must be taken within the past 3 months and have the applicants name written on the back, as well as attached to the application.

Family Relationships and Family Registry

  • The proof of family relationship is a copy of the Family Registry, marriage certificate, or equivalent relating to the guarantor, parent, or spouse.
  • A copy of the registry of current addresses (jyuuminhyou, 住民票) and the family registry (koseki touhon, 戸籍謄本) can be obtained at a local city hall.


  • Proofs of self-sufficiency include a certificate of employment (zaishoku shoumeisho, 在職証明書), employment contract (koyou keiyakusho, 雇用契約書), tax declaration (kakutei shinkoku, 確定申告書), withholding tax slip (gensen choshuhyo, 源泉徴収票), income tax payment certificate (shotoku kazei shoumeisho, 所得課税証明書), business licenses, or equivalent.
  • Self-sufficiency usually requires at least 200,000円/month of income for a single person, or 375,000円/month for a couple with a child.


  • Proof of tax payment generally refers to the residence tax proof of payment certificate (jyuminzei no kazei shoumeisho, 住民税の課税証明書) covering the most recent three year period.


  • Most forms can be obtained at the local city office or from your employer.
  • Forms from the local city office may cost from 300円 per document.
  • The Residence Card is called a zairyuu kaado or 在留カード.
  • The personal seal or signature is used on the letter of guarantee.
  • The proof of employment and income are the same as the proofs of self-sufficiency for the applicant.
  • Revenue stamps can be purchased at local post offices and convenience stores.
  • The proof of identity is used when a representative of the applicant presents the application at the immigration office.
  • Along with copies, the original documents (passport, residence card, etc.) must also be presented.